Software developers are popularly known as men in caves as their jobs suggest to be comfortable in a cold work-station with bright screens and fast internet connection. It is partly true, but there is always more to that.
A software development company helps creative problem solvers provide solutions to problems in interactivity and responsiveness, especially in web applications.
You might think that software development is a hard job, but nothing is hard for those willing to learn. What does a software developer do, anyway?
- They create a specific program or apps. These programs can either help you in your daily life or entertain you. Software developers are categorized into two – applications software developers and systems software developers.
Application software developers are the masterminds behind word processors and games. If you are writing notes on a document online or is playing CandyCrush Saga, then that’s it. Some application software developers also help in creating databases for companies and organizations.
Systems software developers develop and implement applications for the backend processing used in businesses and organizations. They test and modify systems to ensure reliable operation.
- They meet the users’ needs. Not literally in physical form, but they analyze the needs of the users with the software they create. From understanding the needs of the users, a developer can create software that provides solutions to common problems on the web. This is an excellent foundation for successful mobile applications. About understanding user needs, software developers map out the software ready for future upgrades and enhancements.
- They have strong tech skills. Software developers are well-versed in terms of code languages. This skill is essential in creating codes and producing user-friendly web and mobile applications. Some codes are specific depending on what type of apps and their features.
- They are great team players. Even though software developers are often found working in secluded environments, software developers are communicative. This is an essential transferable skill as they need to work with different members such as designers, marketing teams, and other programmers.
- They are analytic and strategic. Coding is like solving mathematical problems. They subdivide bigger problems to smaller ones to quickly identify the error and find resolutions to it. They also find ways to efficiently find solutions to cross from point A to point B.
- They are curious learners. Most software developers are self-taught. They are born from being curious and being diligent in learning a skill. They have spent numerous hours learning how to code and weeks on how to apply it.
Software developers are now essential to most establishments as businesses move to the online world. They are also needed in government institutions, especially in quickly tracking and retrieving information for legal purposes. What a software developer does is more than playing video games. They also provide essential solutions to discovered and recurring problems.
Being a software developer can also be learned formally in colleges and universities with a more focused niche. Formally learning this skill also allows connections with people who have been experienced in the field. They can also serve as references in landing jobs related to the skill.
So what does a software developer really do? It’s time for you to find out yourself.
What does a software developer do?